our stories – part 5 – where did i go?

In case you have not noticed, I have not uploaded a post in over a month. No, I did not forget about blogging or lose interest in blogging. I broke my leg.

Come again? I said, I boke my leg.

To make an interesting story short, I was walking down the sidewalk and tripped. I ate the cold concrete with the left side of my face and my left knee – did not even get my hands out to break my fall. After dialing 911, the lovely paramedics took me to the ER at Alleghney General Hospital on Saturday, April 16th. While my father was 1200 miles away celebrating his forty-some-odd birthday, I was in the ER waiting to be admitted.

I had x-rays, a CT scan and an MRI. Those all confirmed that I did indeed shatter the top of my left tibia, which then led me to have an open reduction and internal fixation surgery on Monday, April 18th. I was discharged and sent home on Wednesday, April 20th. In my farewell goodie bag was a prescription for Percocet and 28 pre filled syringes of Lovenox (for me to inject into my soft fatty tummy every morning). Oh, and instructions not to put any weight on my brace bound leg for four weeks.

When I went for my two week post-op follow up doctor visit on Thursday, May 5th, I was x-rayed again (told those looked great), had my stitches removed and was outfitted with a fancy new leg brace that allows me to bend my knee some. I was told that I might actually see 20 years out of my knee before I needed a total knee replacement, instead of the ten years that I was threatened with after surgery. I was also given a prescription for physical therapy for six weeks (2 to 3 times a week).

Last week, on Wednesday the 11th, I went to my first PT appointment. I go to my next appointment this Thursday. I have no idea when I will get to try walking… but, it seems as though that is still a ways out.

What do I do all day? PT exercises, play on my new iPad (that my in-laws bought me), play games on my Nintendo DS, hang out with the kiddo and be taken care of by my Dear Other Half. I have lived in the front room of our house on a spare bed for a month now and will remain there awhile longer.

I am going to try to pick up where I left off with my weekly blogging schedule, but it may get drastically cut down. Here is a reminder of what I had been doing:

And the rest of “our stories” can be found here.

I am not completely sure how much of that I will keep up with, but I will make an effort to blog at least a couple times a week. Typing on an iPad is quite infuriating and blogging with links and doing the whole cut and paste routine is proving to be quite cumbersome. We shall see what comes of this. However, once I am mobile again and can use my regular computer, I plan on being back in the blogging game, full swing.

That is all for tonight.



  1. Sherri says:

    So sorry to hear what happened. I noticed a mention of surgery on FB but thought I would give you adequate recovery time before asking what happened. Anyway – really sorry to hear about this. Sounds like you’re on your way to “better”, though.

  2. Jody says:

    Michele….I’m glad to hear you’ve made such great progress, even this has been a huge ordeal for you. At the same time you broke your leg, we experienced a couple of emergencies (one in my DDIL’s family, one with one of my client’s)….while you were in our thoughts and *prayers*, we were dealing with stuff here, which is why the only thing you heard from me was fb messages…so sorry! But I am glad that things are looking up, even though it probably feels like it’s been much longer than a month. Sending (((cyber hugs)))!!!

    • Thanks, Jody. I am sorry to hear you have had issues of your own – I hope things are looking up for you and yours. Miss you, lady. I will be on my feet soonlyish… Then we can get together.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.