We offer monitrice services for clients planning an out-of-hospital birth* at their homes or at The Midwife Center.
A monitrice is a non-medical attendant with assessment and clinical skills. Skills include: observing vital signs, foetal heart tones, vaginal exams/labour progress assessment, newborn assessment, breastfeeding help, and prenatal education. The monitrice does not perform these tasks at the hospital, birthing centre, or when the midwife has come to your home unless the caregiver consents. A monitrice does not make primary care decisions and reports directly to the midwife or physician for those instructions.
Because I am a midwife, I have the skills to better monitor labouring clients at their homes as their doula/monitrice before their attending midwife arrives or until it is time to transfer to the birth centre. I am able to monitor blood pressure, temperature, foetal heart tones, spacing of contractions, labour progression, and dilation (cervical checks) if desired. Most doulas are not able to provide this kind of care, because they have not been trained to and/or their certifying organisation does not allow them to.
On top of the extra skills and knowledge I bring, I can do all of the other typical doula duties like: offering emotional support, massage/reflexology, keeping clients hydrated and fed when hungry, explaining interventions and procedures, natural pain management, advocating for client, etc..
Fee for Monitrice Services: $1500
- 2/3 of fee ($1000) is due by 37 weeks gestation; including a $250 deposit due at contract signing
- Remaining 1/3 of fee ($500) is due by 4 weeks postpartum
- Monthly payments in some amount are expected
- We do offer a sliding scale for those can not afford our full fee: $900-1500.
- 4 Prenatal Visits (ideally one each trimester and 1 visit with your provider so we can meet)
- Labour/Birth Support; On-call from 37 weeks to 42 weeks gestation
- 2 Postpartum Visits (at 1 week and 4 weeks postpartum)
- Birth Plan/Vision preparations
- Access to lending library of books & DVDs
- 24hr email support
- Additional Prenatal/Postpartum Visits are available at a rate of $60 per 2 hour visit
*In the event that you need to transfer from your home/birth centre to the hospital, I will follow you and continue to provide doula care for you there if that is desired.
We Accept Payments Made Using:
Make a payment now using Square
You are NOT hiring me to be your MIDWIFE:
It should be abundantly clear that when hiring me as your monitrice you are not hiring me to attend the birth of your baby as your midwife. If I am supporting you during labour as your monitrice and you refuse to call your midwife or to transport to the birth centre, I will call 911 and leave your home. Period. Additionally, if your intended place of birth was to be the birth centre, I will contact them to make them aware of the situation.
There will be no baiting and switching. There will be no trying to not pay for midwifery care and attendance by hiring me as your monitrice and then trying to get me to attend your birth at the last minute in labour. I will NOT do it. If you want to hire me as your midwife, but are afraid of financial constraints, talk to me (I am a reasonable person) instead of trying to trick me.